Monday, February 28, 2011

Stairwell to I.D.

Sorry, I really suck at blogging

I've been recruited by a group of students in my program (the "SID development group", if you will) to help design the stairwell by the studio. This mural is represent current design that is being created - within the walls of our school - in order to update what is presently there, which was done by Dr. Thomas Garvey, the directed of our school when he was a student back in the day.
I've been working with Nick and Tony (in 2nd and 3rd year, respectively) and we are pretty much done the design. We had to finish it over our reading week, and since we obviously didn't see each other, we basically emailed ideas and concepts back and forth until it was done. We all had a common goal which was to use a lot of geometric shapes which some how flowed from point A to point B, with some cool colours and maybe a circle to remember the stuff that's currently there, and so on and so forth.

Random grid system I came up with

This was just the first idea I sent to Nick to build upon.
Then, he did this..

And this...
Both look amazing. I love what he did; he pretty much took the tessellation pattern of the first draft that I sent him and made it look awesome. So I opted with the first one shown because it depicts more motion than the latter. So, I did some tweaking...and...


TADAAH!!
Another option I made for the guys was to include a circle so we can all reminisce what was/is still there.

And thaaatss pretty much it. Tony's really happy with it and so soon enough we'll present it to the group and hopefully it'll get approved by admin so we can paint it by the end of the semester.

2 comments:

rvan said...

I'm really liking this Maya. I also love the gradients too.

Barack Laraque Maurice Sendak Attack said...

I love it. Reminds me of école polytechnique. I would stray away from a black background though. Hope you can get this or something like it approved for next year or something!